Tuesday, May 16, 2006

His mercy endures forever!

"Sin is shameful only when we commit it; when it has been converted by confession and repentance, it becomes honorable and salutary."
-St. Francis de Sales


I was thinking about confession today and how much grace there is in frequent confession. All the Sacraments involve a real encounter with Christ, but I can honestly say some of the happiest moments of my life took place in the confessional. I have heard the miracle that takes place at the Sacrament of Reconciliation referred to as more profound than the miracle of creation itself.

While I do love confession, I am used to experiencing anxiety prior to going into the confessional...especially if I'm falling into the same sins confession after confession. I was reading a little bit of St. Francis de Sales recently and the quote above really struck me. We should be ashamed of having committed sin, but the ability to turn from that sin and seek forgiveness is in itself a sign of God working in our souls. When we turn from sin through confession we are able to grow in the virtue of humility and overcome these obstacles in the future. The most important thing that I need to remember is never to admit defeat.

Long live Christ the King!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Nice post Sean.

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home