Saturday, August 12, 2006

There's nothing like...

...a really good confession. I really don't know how I'd make it without this sacrament. If I were Protestant and didn't have this sacrament I think I'd be tortured with thoughts about whether or not I was sincerely sorry enough to receive the pardon of God. Having a confessor assure us that our sins are forgiven through the ministry of the Church is quite liberating.

I'm so thankful for this sacrament. The devil wants us to keep our sins hidden so he can torture us with them. He hates it when things are brought to the light. Admitting we are wrong requires humility. He can't use our secret sins to torture us anymore since they have been brought to the priest and they have been forgiven.

God's mercy endures forever!


Also, just a reminder that August 15 is the Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary into Heaven. It's a Holy Day of Obligation and a very important feast.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You're right...sin sucks.

It's possible that I went this morning. I hope the priest understood, though since his English was a little choppy at times (he wasn't my regular confessor...actually he wasn't the priest I expected to be there), but he seemed to get the gist of it.

I love this quote by St. John Vianney:

"If one said to those poor lost souls that have been so long in Hell, "We are going to place a priest at the gate of Hell: all those who wish to confess have only to go out, " do you think, my children, that a single one would remain? The most guilty would not be afraid of telling their sins, nor even of telling them before all the world. Oh, how soon Hell would be a desert, and how Heaven would be peopled! Well, we have the time and the means, which those poor lost souls have not. And I am quite sure that those wretched ones say in Hell, "O accursed priest! if I had never known you, I should not be so guilty!"

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home